Thursday 27 March 2008

I Don't Have To Exist Outside This Place



South London four-piece The xx are making some big waves at the moment, playing in some of London's top venues/club nights including Bloomsbury Bowling Lanes, Hoxton Bar & Grill, BOSH! and White Heat.

I haven't been this excited about a band since... White Lies?

This is a band that seem to have it all; 2 guitars, 1 bass, a children's Casio keyboard, & a drum machine. If I'm honest, I was sold when I got to 'a children's Casio keyboard', but the fun doesn't stop there.

With apparent influences that seem to stretch the far realms of musical taste and decency, their refreshing take on eclecticism shines through in their music.

A great example of this would be the fact they have lifted a verse from Missy Elliott's 'All In My Grill' and nestled it almost undetected into their brilliantly quaint tale of first date hopes and fears, 'Stars'.

With hints of New Wave, Pop, Folk and Electronica, there's not one weak link in the five songs that feature on their Myspace.

Of two songs below, one is their take on the Womack & Womack classic 'Teardrops' and the second is the first song that The xx ever recorded.

I can't wait to hear more.

The xx - Teardrops
The xx - Blood Red Moon
Myspace

Carl

0 Voicemails: