Sunday 18 October 2009

Hype: A Halo Radiating Through Time


image by Josef Kraska


Laurel Halo is a Brooklyn based songwriter / producer who just blows my mind.

Originating from Ann Arbor in Michigan and ending up in New York via Thailand, she takes influence from free jazz to Detroit techno and definitely caters to the experimental / avant-garde side of my tastes.

I think this is the bit where I'm meant to describe her track Future Fruit using puns and metaphors based around its name but instead I'll just say that it was written for her best friend's birthday and it's just over six minutes of bliss, enjoy.

Laurel Halo - Future Fruit (YSI)

I was actually introduced to her music by another IT favourite Radiant Dragon, who has just finished a remix of the above track, dragging it by the ankles into some sort of an angsty paranoid parallel universe.

Laurel Halo - Future Fruit (Radiant Dragon Remix) (YSI)

He also sent me some amazing remixes of the tracks on his Island EP, including this haunting kraut effort from Allez-Allez.

Radiant Dragon - Cloud Seeding (Allez-Allez Remix) (YSI)

If you're in London over the next couple of months, check out the live show at Dirty Bingo (@ The Vicoria), AITBF (@ Cargo) and Barden's Boudoir.


Bookmark and Share

0 Voicemails: