Thursday 18 September 2008

Circle SQUAREPUSHER Triangle



So after other plans had fallen through, I made a conscious effort to expand my musical horizons tonight, and came across the new album by Tom Jenkinson also known as Squarepusher.

An album of seriously epic proportions, and released through Warp, Just A Souvenir features elements ranging from IDM, Jazz, Prog, Garage Rock and Post-Punk and is apparently a concept - "This album started as a daydream about watching a crazy, beautiful rock band play an ultra-gig."

Once past the first few tracks (which I'm least fond of), the strangest thing about this LP is that there's only one song that's longer than five minutes, yet each of them seems like a fifteen minute prog masterpiece.

The Delta 5 inspired Delta-V flows effortlessly from freestyle jazz to bass-driven rock within seconds, shifting focus onto a seriously danceable spiralling bass line that's more akin to something you'd expect from Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster, and then back and forth.

A definite stand out track for me is Quadrature, one which I'm not even going to put into words, I'm going to let it talk for me.

Just A Souvenir is out now on Bleep.com and will be released in tangible formats on October 27th.

Squarepusher - Quadrature (Zshare)
Squarepusher Website
Pre-order Just A Souvenir @ Warpmart

0 Voicemails: