Wednesday 12 November 2008

Plug: I Saw Them Stars Go Off



So, I finally got my hands on the much coveted Notwave. compilation from DFA/Rong.

After the ritual three consecutive listens and despite the fact that it contains tracks by Free Blood and Tussle, the one that really 'hit the spot' was the slow burning funk-come-hip hop of I Turn My Camera On by Mexican producer/DJ Fre$hro.

Taking inspiration from the No-Wave scene of New York in the late 70's and early 80's, the collaborating labels have stayed true to the ethos of the movement in compiling a fantastic and broad array of tracks that place emphasis on experimentation and the celebration of individuality.

I can honestly say that there's not a bad track amongst them, from the astral locomotion of Sal Principato & Dennis Young's remix of Elephants Meandering by the aforementioned Tussle to the deeply sinister mind bending bass of Smoke Machine by Welcome Stranger, there's certainly no filler.

Freshro - I Turn My Camera On (YSI)

Buy Notwave @ Amazon.co.uk @ Beatport

0 Voicemails: